A Sedona Tradition
The Cowboy Club (Formerly the Oak Creek Tavern) has been the social center of Sedona for over seventy years. The tavern originally opened in 1946 serving as the meeting place, pool hall, saloon and grocery store to locals and tourists alike. During the 1950’s and 1960’s, over fifty western movies were filmed in the area. When the day’s shooting was done, the wood walls echoed with the talk and laughter of Hollywood’s biggest stars. Legends like John Wayne, James Stewart, Donna Reed, Robert Mitchum, Burt Lancaster, Rock Hudson, Glen Ford and Joan Crawford were known to enjoy the warm fire and welcoming atmosphere. Even Elvis was said to frequent the tavern while filming 1968’s Stay Away Joe.
The establishment, itself, has also appeared in several movies including Angel & The Badman, Station West, The Last Wagon, Desert Fury, and The Rounders. Acclaim continued when in 1965, world famous artist, Joe Beeler, sat at the corner table by the fireplace with George Phippen, John Hampton, and Charlie Dye. There, they founded the Cowboy Artists of America and through their efforts, recognition of Western Art surged.
Following years of neglect, the Tavern was converted to the Cowboy Club Grille and Spirits in 1993. While the pool tables were retired, the barnyard walls, fireplace, bar, and wooden tables were painstakingly restored. Since its opening, the Cowboy Club's High Desert Cuisine and western hospitality have been heralded. Dozens of newspapers and periodicals including USA Today, The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times and Vogue, as well as many television shows and major networks, such as The Travel Channel, The Food Network, and The Golf Channel have featured the establishment.